Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Goals

In December, everything is too much. Don't get me wrong, I really love the holiday season, the excitement, the fresh tree, the cranberries. . . but then about 4 days before Christmas I get this sense of impending doom when the season overwhelms me. This is very much why our house gets de-Christmassed right around the 26th every year. Have I mentioned that I'm just a tad antisocial? Yeah, that might have something to do with it, too.

Fortunately for me, the kids headed back to school today (wah for them) while I still have a few days of winter break left to get started on my goals for the year. I never, ever do resolutions, but I always have goals for myself. 2013 was such a monumental year of change; Chickens! Knitting! I can't believe I didn't knit a year ago. . . seriously, it is so much a part of who I am now that I really can't figure out what I did with all my time.

Well, without dwelling on the past, here's to the future!!



That's right, my future involves breakfast, then that baby sitting across the table from me. The Singer. Now, I don't know why, but sewing machines scare the crap out of me, especially when they're older than I am. Some part of my brain keeps telling me that I would learn better if I had a fancy new machine, but the much bigger, practical part of my brain says I need to know if sewing is going to be a legitimate part of my life before I spend the money.

 This won't be my first sewing attempt:


Okay, yeah, that's not me. . . but it IS the project I started before I got to stressed out by The Machine and my dear husband Abe had to take over. Curtains for the two bedrooms and for the kitchen, too. Easy Shmeasy, but the thread kept breaking, and sewing through room-darkening fabric was rather tough. Of course, looking at that sweet little boy next to Abe, I am starting to think that it was maybe just my timing that was off. Toddlerhood is not exactly a time to start a new endeavor.

But now that sweet boy is about to be eight (EIGHT!!) and has some sudden mighty particular tastes in clothes. Only hoodies. Only skinny pants. I can't find pants to make him happy (he's on the extremely slim side) so maybe I'll work up to making him pants. Maybe by next December, though, let's be real.

So today I'm taking a bit of a deep breath before I plunge in, and learning from how I learned to knit, doing some research, too. Thank goodness for YouTube!!

Happy 2014 to you!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Carly! I have the feeling you'll be a 'natural' at sewing! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's what I keep telling myself - I have a long life of crafting on my side - but that machine is scary!! Of course I really, really like pretty clothes, so that's my motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. was in Dingshu Town, Yixing, JiangsuChina Purple Clay Teapot. The teapots are bullish in the auction market, and they are collectible "antiques". The works of famous masters are often difficult to find a pot. It is said that "the world's jewels are taken, Yixing purple sand is the most desirable."
    The raw material for the production is purple sand mud, the origin of which is also known as YiYixing Purple Clay Teapot Setxing Zisha pPurple Clay Teapot With Infuserot in Dingshu Town, Yixing, JianHandmade Ceramic Teapotgsu. It is said that the founder of the teapot is the spring for the Ming Dynasty in China. Because of the perfect combinaCheap Ceramic Teapotstion of artistry and practicality, the teapot is so precious and memorable. The benefits of tea in the purple sand pot and the culture of the tea Zen are added, which adds to the noble and elegant rhyme of the purple sand. .
    Legend has it that a long time ago, the villagers in the town went out late, ploughed the fields to do farm work, and used clay to make daily bowls and cans. In this way, they live a carefree and simple life. One day, a strange monk appeared in Authentic Purple Clay Teapottheir town. As h

    ReplyDelete
  4. ies and temperature of the fire willChina Purple Clay Teapot also make the chemical changes of the body different and present different textures and hue.
    The purple, red and green base muds of purple, red and green are colored. The reason why there are different color effects is that there is a thick purple color, a purple color, and a yellow color. It is due to refining, burning, etc. ArtifYixing Purple Clay Teapot Seticial differPurple Clay Teapot With Infuserence
    The azure mud, pear skin mHandmade Ceramic Teapotud, light red mud, light yellow mud, honey mud, etc. recorded in the classics, after burning, are liver color, frozen pearCheap Ceramic Teapots color, pine color, bean color, ochre, etc. Derivation of base mud under congenital geological genesis in different producing areas
    Duan Mu is a mixture of purple mud and star-shaped green mud. It can not be separated after the mud is formed.
    The teapots produced before 1957 are mostly single or mixed ore purple sand mud. The color is the burning color of one or several kinds of ore purple sand mud. No matter the high, medium and low grade pots, the surface will haAuthentic Purple Clay Teapotve black. The sm

    ReplyDelete